Read this article in German, French or Spanish.
The heat is on! Don’t miss our final Bitpanda Pro trading competition this summer as traders are about to face their greatest challenge yet. Our Cyber August trading competition is about to start - and you can register from the 17th of August, 3:00 pm CET. This summer’s great battle between machines and human traders on our exchange is bound to be epic!
Update (14th September, 2020): Congratulations to the winners! The top 3 nicknames according to the official scoreboard in the descending order are:
1. emanuel.mosciski - cyber (6.000 EUR)
2. Helios Hills - human (4.000 EUR)
3. farrah_orange - cyber (2.000 EUR)
Additionally, based on the highest ROI generated on trades by Team Cyber across all Bitpanda Pro markets, the traders on the winning team - Team Cyber - with the highest scores won €240 each (payout to Bitpanda Pro EUR):
Update (the 21st of August, 2020): We are prolonging the pre-registration phase for one week. This means that participants have more time to sign-up in advance. The new start date of the Cyber August trading competition is the 31st of August at 12:00 noon CET and the new end date is the 14th of September at 12:00 noon CET.
Everything that happened this summer so far prepared our users for this day: kicking off this summer’s first mission sending competing traders to climb the scoreboards, then pushing the prize pool To the Moon, to then hitting the top of trading peaks with the Going Swiss trading competition - but this is nothing compared to what lies ahead.
Now that Bitpanda Pro traders have geared up, the time has come to put your trading skills and your endurance to the test in the greatest trading challenge of this summer: the Cyber August trading competition. You’ll be competing against each other individually, as well as in teams - we give you the ultimate battle between algorithmic trading bots and human traders in this final showdown of champions!
Human traders versus machines
The Cyber August trading competition is scheduled from the 24th of August at 12:00 noon CET until the 7th of September at 12:00 noon CET and registration opens on the 17th of August at 3:00 pm CET.
This time, you need to give it your all - deliver your best trading performance and win €6,000! All participants in Cyber August will start as individual traders AND be part of a team. In this competition, there are two teams competing against each other: Team Human and Team Cyber. Can human traders beat trading bots?
Participants who sign up for Team Human during Cyber August can only trade via web and/or mobile. Participants who sign up for Team Cyber can only trade via API. Be very sure to select the team that’s right for you because you won’t be able to switch teams once you have signed up. Will you trade manually or send in your bot to do the work?
Prizes for individual traders and the winning team
Great prizes await the top performers of Cyber August - the best individual traders as well as the members of the winning team. If you’re among the lucky winners, we’ll notify you after the end of the competition on the 7th of September via email and by our public scoreboard on our website (which is why you need to create a unique username during registration for privacy reasons).
Based on the highest ROI (Return on Investment) generated on trades by individual traders at the end of competition, regardless of which team these are the prizes:
1st ……………...…..… €6,000 (payout to Bitpanda Pro EUR wallet)
2nd ……….………….... €4,000 (payout to Bitpanda Pro EUR wallet)
3rd ………………..…… €2,000 (payout to Bitpanda Pro EUR wallet)
Based on the highest ROI generated on trades by either Team Human or Team Cyber across all Bitpanda Pro markets at the end of the competition, the 10 traders on the winning team with the highest scores will win €240 each (payout to Bitpanda Pro EUR wallet).
This is how you can participate in the Cyber August competition
- Make sure you’re a fully verified user on Bitpanda Pro.
- Register for the Cyber August trading competition via the pop-up on Bitpanda Pro.
- Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Select a randomly-generated alias name directly on Bitpanda Pro.
- Select which team you would like to compete in - Team Human or Team Cyber (Note: you cannot switch teams once you have decided which team you want to compete in).
- Don’t forget to start trading across all Bitpanda Pro markets from the 24th of August at 12:00 noon.
- Make sure your initial minimum account value is at least €10, held in either fiat or crypto.
- You’re required to perform a minimum of 10 trades with a minimum of €50 during the entire competition.
- If it turns out that you’re not part of the winning team, you can still win the individual prize if your individual ROI is the highest ROI of all participants in both teams at the end of the competition.
Show us your ROI
Who was the most efficient trader during Cyber August? Winners of the Cyber August trading competition will be determined based on individual trader ROI and on team ROI by measuring the highest ROI during the time from competition start to competition end on individual and team levels.
This means we’re going to evaluate your trading performance and efficiency (or that of your bot) as well as the ones of your competing team based on calculations (see examples further below).
During the competition, the individual ROI of participants is updated every 15 minutes while the ROI of each team is updated on a daily basis. Your initial account balance is the snapshot of your account balance at the start of the competition. (If you sign up during the competition, then the snapshot is taken directly after sign-up.)
Your return on investment (ROI) is measured as follows:
- ROI = Profit / (Initial Account Balance + Time Weighted Deposits)
- Profit (in EUR) = Final Account Balance - Initial Account Balance + Withdrawals - Deposits
- Time Weighted Deposit = Deposit x (competition time remaining in mins) / 20,160)
- Time remaining starts at the beginning of the competition at 20,160 minutes and is counted down to zero minutes at the end of the competition.
- Deposits at the start of the competition receive full weight. After the first week of the competition, a deposit will receive 50% weight. After the first 13 days of the competition have passed, a deposit will receive 1/14 weight.
- Please note that the euro profit and net asset value is calculated using the latest Bitpanda Pro exchange rates at the time of calculation.
Here are examples of how ROI is calculated.
Calculation of individual ROI (example)
Sally joins the competition. Her initial account balance is €1,000. She makes several trades over the course of one day and also withdraws €100 and deposits €200. She ends up with €1,500 in her account.
- Initial Account Balance = €1,000
- Final Account Balance = €1,500
- Withdrawal = €100
- Deposit = €200
- Time passed during deposit and withdrawal = 15 minutes
Profit = €1,500 - €1,000 + €100 - €200 = €400
Time Weighted Deposit = €200 x (20,160-15) / 20,160 = 199.85
ROI = 400 / (1,000 + 199.85) = 33%
Calculation of team ROI (example)
Aga and Sam both join the competition as part of the Cyber Team. Aga’s initial account balance is €3,000 and Sam has €4,000 in his account. Both of them make several trades over the course of one day. Additionally Aga deposits €200 and Sam withdraws €500 during this time. Aga ends up with €4,000 in her account and Sam ends up with €2,000.
- Initial Account Balance = €3,000 + €4,000 = €7,000
- Final Account Balance = €4,000 + €2,000= €6,000
- Withdrawal = €200
- Deposit = €500
- Time passed during deposit and withdrawal = 15 min
Profit = €6,000 - €7,000 + €200 - €500 = € -1,300
Time Weighted Deposit = €500 x (20,160-15) / 20,160 = 499.63
ROI = -1,300 / (7,000 + 499.63) = -17%
Find out if you won
After the Cyber August competition ends, winners will be announced on a public scoreboard. View the winners of our last competition, the Going Swiss trading competition, here.
Don’t miss this summer’s greatest trading challenge and pre-register for Cyber August!
Please note that continuous trading between two or more accounts belonging (directly or indirectly) to the same person or same legal entity (wash trading) is not allowed. We reserve the right to disqualify users who don’t abide by the rules. Read more in the official trading competition terms and conditions.